Monday, October 7, 2013

A DAY OF WORK AND TRAINING

While driving to Kona on this beautiful morning I stopped to take a couple of pictures to underscore the landscape contrasts between the sea level and a 2,600 feet elevation.

The top of the Kamuela Mountain as seen from about 2,600 feet above the sea level.

The scorched, and seemingly endless, lava fields along the Queen K Highway. Six miles and 2,600 feet of elevation separate these views.

The Ironman Sports Medicine Conference opened this morning with lectures focusing on "Heart Issues in the Athlete." Topics included an overview of an athlete's heart and whether or not exercise can damage the organ, discussion of challenging cardiac cases, an update on the pre-participation in sports exam, and a debate on whether an EKG should become a standard operating procedure in athlete's screening. The day culminated with a speech by an "Ironman Legend." This year, a three-time Ironman World Champion, Australian Craig Alexander, discussed his life as an endurance athlete.

In the last six years all pro races have been won by an Australian male. This year, Craig will be racing in Kona again, for the seventh time, as a 40 year old.

Later this afternoon I joined a swim clinic (the best I ever attended) and later returned to the Kailua Pier for a swim training. Some of the buoys were already out on the course. I counted seven of them and there were probably more that I could not see from the shore.

This is the point where it will all start and end on Saturday.

The swim course will be a single, 2.4 mile (3,800 meter) loop.

My first encounter with the Pacific Ocean this afternoon.

The water was unbelievably clear and the swim practice felt fabulous. I could see the bottom for meters on end and admire the marine life beneath me. And yes, the shark-encounter thoughts have crossed my mind several times. I am sure, I was not alone in that.

In the end, it was a very productive, as well as, a tiring day. Some of it had probably still to do with the 6-hour time difference between the Big Island and Ohio. One aspect is easier, though. I have no trouble getting up at 4 o'clock in the morning.

On Alii Drive one can be always sure to encounter some of the best pros in the sport. Here displaying the Aloha sign with Chris Lieto, one of the best U.S. professional triathletes. His bicycle prowess is unmatched.

Here with Kevin McKinnon, the commentator and writer for Ironmanlive.com. A year ago, he wrote a story on my accident for Ironmanlive.com. And yes Mary, I did make sure to pass your greetings to Kevin.

And here is today's report closing question.

What is wrong with this picture taken at noon?