Wednesday, July 4, 2012

WHAT IF?

Hello from Mont-Tremblant, Quebec

What if the T1 transition was closer to the end of the swim? Or, if my transition time from the swim-to-bike was a bit quicker? Or, if I did not have to make a port-o-let stop at the beginning of the run? Or, if I swam, cycled or ran just a little faster? Well, maybe, just maybe I would have broken the elusive 5-hour mark at the inaugural Ironman Mont-Tremblant 70.3 triathlon in Mont-Tremblant, Quebec, Canada. In the end, I needed 46 seconds to beat the 5-hour mark, though, I was truly elated by having set my personal record, if by only 13 seconds, on an unlikely course.

Canadian "Snow Birds" welcomed all athletes on race morning. It was an awesome sight

The race day started for me with a 2.5-mile run and a 15-minute swim in Lake Mont Tremblant. The water was calm at about 74F. The pro athletes, leading the way, started at 7AM. My swim wave (#9) started at 7:40 with about 200 athletes in it. It was another solid swim with a lot of open water available for most of the 33 minutes on a well-designed course which minimized the blinding effect of the rising sun. The run from the water to T1 was quite long - 300 or 400 meters, maybe longer. The weather was perfect. It was already getting quite warm. Although, I always plan to have a quick transition, it rarely ever works that way. There is always a cramp or something that slows me down. But once on the bike, the game was on.

The swim start beach

The boats were gone and the water was calmer on Sunday morning

Well, some of them were gone and the beach became a busy, busy place

The end of the swim

What can I say about the bike course? Hills, falls flats, fast descents where strong biking skills are a must. My speedometer registered the highest descent speed at 53 miles per hour, while the slowest climb at 6 miles per hour. That was both scary fast and scary slow. It was also one of the most beautiful and safest venues in my triathlon experience. Ninety-five percent of the roads were totally closed off to the vehicular traffic and the organizers topped it off with the closing of the entire highway portion of the race. It was a treat, indeed. After having driven the bike course before the race, I did not anticipate reaching a blazing overall bike time. In the end, I think, I proved myself somewhat wrong when I clocked a 2-hour 40-minute ride.


The bikes are trickling-in

The T2 transition went a bit faster, although I had to make an unscheduled pit stop. I was not sure what damage have the hills on the bike done to my legs. Surprisingly, the start of the run looked promising. I felt light on my legs and my heart rate seemed to be in check. It was already getting quite hot and the first hills were just ahead of me. I kept on pushing and feeling my confidence on the run. I kept increasing the tempo. My 1 km splits were getting quicker with each “K.” I remember thinking about not blowing up when my kilometer splits reached 4 minutes 15 seconds. Being “on the roll” I kept on passing runners and with each passing it became a numbers game. In the end, I was passed by only one runner, who of all the people, was in my own age group.  I do not know how much gas I still had left in the tank at the finish line. Perhaps, the adrenaline in the system made me feel I could go further, but on this day I had a 1-hour 37 minute run and a finishing time of 5:00:45.

An aerial view of the finish line

My race from different angles

The organizers did a great job designing and making the course very safe and challenging. There were 2,100 athletes from all over the world. The town of Mont-Tremblant was a perfect race destination for athletes and their families who had no trouble finding things to do for entertainment. The village and its residents were very welcoming of their weekend guests. Shopping, dining, and entertainment kept the spectators and families busy. There were also ample options for those nature-minded with an appetite for a more active lifestyle, such as parks, lakes, and a sandy beach club.


The swim start in the background




Ironman atmosphere was felt everywhere

Ironman Village

While there, triathletes could join the military or get one of those toys

Indeed, it was a race to remember on many fronts. It was a beautiful place to visit, a challenging course to race on, and an opportunity to meet and make many new friends. Among them, Luis and Julie from Montreal, Vincent, Deane, and Rey from Ottawa, Dominic and his family from St. Agathe, Janice and Gordon from the Thunder Bay, and Mary from England – all great-spirited triathletes. And last but not least, Roberto, the owner of the most-charming Bed and Breakfast (Le Refuge, www.refuge-tremblant.ca) in the heart of Mont-Tremblant, with whom I spent lots of time talking about Catalonia.

Le Refuge

The view from my balcony

With Dominic. It was his first Ironman 70.3

With Luis, Roberto, Janice, and Gordon about 4 o'clock in the morning. Roberto was up at 2 o'clock preparing our breakfast

This was an interesting story. While getting my bike brakes serviced in the village this young man turned to me and said - "I painted your bike." So, obviously, I had to find out the full story. As it turned out, there are only 10 bikes with the "Norminator" custom paint jobs and he painted them all. Nine of those bikes belong to Norman Stadler, the two-time professional Ironman World Champion, and one belongs to me. So, in an unlikely place, I learned the history and lineage of my bike.

This upcoming weekend I will be traveling to Rhode Island to race in Ironman Providence 70.3 - the triathlon season is in full swing, indeed.

Picture credits: FinisherPix, Mary, Julie, and Tomasz