Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A ROLLER COASTER IN PROVIDENCE

Greetings from Providence, Rhode Island, the host city of the 2012 Ironman Providence 70.3.
 

This was my third 70.3 (113 km) triathlon in five weeks. The racing season started early for me this year and the frequent competitions have definitely kept me focused and motivated.  All in preparation for what is to come - the Ironman Lake Placid in a couple of weeks.

With the Rhode Island State Capitol in the background

Lots of "science" goes into the race-day preparations 

The race morning started for me at 2:30AM with the usual routine and a 1200-calorie breakfast consisting of home-made pancakes, peanut butter, marmalade, and a hot tea before heading out to the race with a couple of guest-friends whom we hosted at our house for the race. After a 20-minute drive we arrived at the Lincoln Park in time to check out the equipment and do a bit of a warm up. I ran a 4.5K loop around the lake at a brisk pace and followed that with a 10-minute swim before the first-wave start. Again, the professional men went first at 6:00AM followed by professional women a couple of minutes later. My wave was scheduled for 6:10AM. The water temperature was very warm (about 80F) making this event a non-wetsuit-legal swim. Those who would have elected to swim in a wetsuit would have not been eligible for the awards and their results would have not been official. I knew that if all goes well, my time should be four to five minutes slower than swimming in a wetsuit. I seemed to have been right on the money when I exited the water in 37 minutes. I was happy with the swim time and my T1 transition.

The trouble started on the bike, which is usually my strong suit. Almost immediately I have noticed I did not have the needed power in my legs. Climbing hills became very laborious. And there were many of those in the 56 miles we had to ride. It felt as if I had to work extra hard just to maintain an 18 miles/hour average speed. My legs felt heavy and tired and the bicycle did not handle the same, as strange rubbing and squeaking noises surfaced again about 25 miles into the ride. I was concerned I would have not had much left for the run. Well, getting to the T2 transition could not have come too soon. Clocking-in my ride at 3 hours and 8 minutes was a far cry from my last-year’s performance, which was 22 minutes faster. I can’t remember passing a single male athlete, while I can remember being passed by many, including a number of females. It was a humbling experience, for sure. Furthermore, the organizers did not learn their lessons from the 2011 race and did not improve the quality of the pavement in the last 10 miles of the course. Chipped and broken asphalt coupled with potholes and multiple railroad tracks to jump over were the conditions all athletes will remember for some time to come. Perhaps, a lesson will be learned for the 2013 race.

It felt great to be off the saddle

Finding my bike spot

Transition to the run (T2)

And off I go

After arriving at T2 it was time to get going. I had a significant time deficit to make up at the start of the run where I found myself in the 24th place in my age group. Fortunately, I “found” my legs immediately. They felt as if they did not do much work on the bike (perhaps, they did not). I was in the zone running through the aid stations, getting some nutrition, water and water-sponges. I started passing my age-group athletes and I liked that sight. I was looking for as much real estate to move up. The end of the 13.1 mile run (21 km) came for me in 1 hour and 37 minutes. My final race time was 5 hours and 30 minutes, which gave me an 8th place in the M50-54 age group.

Approaching the mid-point on the run

And less than 6.5 miles to go

On the final approach with about 20 meters to go

And that was it. Actual time - 5:30

All that is left is to take the timing chip off my leg

As always, my super-fans were there to cheer me on. My family and some of the closest friends.

With my son, my best friend and photographer

Should we or should we not take this picture? Damian i Ania

With Kasia at the steps of the State House

The greatest Polish fan team: Damian, Ania, another Ania, Irus, Kasia, Jarus & Beatka. It was awesome to have you there - Thank You

With Robin from the Upper Valley Triathlon Team. She had a great day and won her age division

I did not have great expectations following the bike ride, although, I was determined to chase my competitors and leave it all out there in the race. I suppose, someone smiled at me that day as my finish qualified me for the right to race at the Ironman World Championship 70.3 in Las Vegas, Nevada on September 9th. My racing calendar just got a little busier and the ticket to Las Vegas got punched.

Picking up the the Ironman World Championship 70.3 slot

I Am True - sounds good

In two weeks, another trip. This time to Lake Placid in upstate New York to compete in Ironman Lake Placid, my first full iron-distance race this season. So, the day in the office will be a little bit longer.

A parting moment with Providence