Monday, August 25, 2008

TOMBERMAN 70.3 AND SO MANY NEW LESSONS LEARNED

First I would like to Thank Leslie for joining and supporting me once again at Timberman .

Swim - We had to leave transition at 6:30am for a “special surprise” before the race start. Aaron and I watched as a skydiver floated down towards the beach. For a second we thought it was Tomasz coming in to spectate but it turned out to be a local skydiver.

I was not very happy with the Swim. At the gun I started to stroke and my arms felt like lead. I was also having trouble breathing. I should have done a warmup like usual but was stuck in the port a john line for a ½ hr before my wave started.

After the 1st turn I started to feel normal but still was way off from the buoys. I know I swam extra yardage in this race.

I got out in 41:55

Bike- The bike was the best part of my day. I managed to stay in the aero position for 90% of the race. I saw Aaron had a flat and I asked if he was allset and he said he was. What is up with Team Irontom and flats? Probably just jinked myself. I finished the bike split in 2:58 avg 18.8 mph so I was happy with that result.

Run - the run is the run. I liked the guys throwing snow balls to the racers and the cheering crowds. There was a lot of race support this year. I enjoyed the salt and vinegar Pringles, coke and wet sponges the most. My run split was 2:04.

I finished the race in 5:50 which was 7 minutes faster than my 2006 Timberman. I was happy with the result.


Happy, and could go for another 13 miles


Notes and observations this year:

My 2007 knee injury has healed in 2008 with no lose of training time. Thank you Dr. Karlson.

Not enough port a johns.

Although the food was excellent post race I waited way too long in line.

Aaron is fast.

What a professionally looking athlete

The debate rages on in my head which course is harder - Moosman or Timberman. I am leaning toward Mooseman.

Congratulations to Carla for completing her first 70.3!!!

We need to get Joe a GPS.

Deep concentration

I need to do more Brick workouts to help me on the Run.

I will probably do some road races this fall.

It was great seeing the Team at Timberman this year. It makes it a lot more fun racing with teammates.

Ahhhhh - of course, it does

Still looking at an Ironman attempt in 2009, not sure which one.