Tuesday, August 26, 2008

TIMBERMAN 70.3 REPORT WITH A LATIN FLAVOR

Vēnī, vīdī, frigus
(I came, I saw, I froze!)

Training...
In 2006, some may remember, blustery cold, wet conditions. I registered as a Clydesdale (which of course is demoralizing unto itself in a way...) and was promptly at the transition area at 4:30am. My wave began, after delays, at close to 9:15am. I sat shivering most of the morning using up most of the energy I would desperately need later in the day to stay warm. After 3:40 on the bike, I was asked on the turn to the run by a medic how I was feeling (I could only imagine how bad I looked), and I answered: “cold.” He said, “wrong answer chap” and pulled me from the race into the medic tent.

Lessons learned…
1. Clydesdales swim in the back – lose some weight!
2. Get off the bike in less than 3:40!

Vēnī, vīdī, ieiunium
(I came, I saw, I was fast!... well, sort of, read on…)

Fast forward to 2008. Having recently moved back from Colorado, where despite popular belief, it is usually sunny and warmish year round, I wasn’t sure that my training was where it needed to be. I relied on spinning and the elliptical (and Tom & Cheryl for motivation) for most of my winter training. Come spring I was able to get outside much more – which I think helped my bike speed.

Swim: As noted in previous race report, there were two parachuters that landed on the beach at the start of the race. I hardly noticed as I was focused on the fact the buoyies were clearly mis-measured and that we would be doing a 10k swim that day. I tried to focus on breathing knowing that they must have gotten it right, all the while knowing that they didn’t and I was about the swim the English channel. Like others, this is the part where I start making deals with the almighty… “just let me get through the swim & out of the water in one piece and I promise to never miss a masters swim or not show up for one of those open water Mascoma swims for the rest of my life.” Before I knew it we were off and the swim went as good as one who doesn’t swim nearly as much as he should could expect. I was out of the water in about 45 minutes.

There is someone behind me

Bike: Here’s the brass tax… I’d ridden the course several times this summer. I know 106 like the back of my hand (and if I am going to attain my double secret goal of under 5:30, it’s going to happen here on the bike). I got off on the bike well after nearly a decade in the transition, something I can improve on greatly. It was a beautiful day and I remember to thank the heavens for a safe swim. I was feeling fast and strong and was at the turn before I knew it. Off the bike in 2:45, fastest I had done all summer.

Riding strong

Run: Here’s where the title of this little section is a bit misleading. When I say that I was fast, I mean to say that I was fast for me and only on the bike. I ran (for all you purist… walked quickly, shuffled, begged, pleaded, moaned, groaned, and completed almost broke down) the run in a slow… slow… manner. 2:28! Wow, that hurts even to write!!!
That is the running part

There was, however, and unforgettable moment during the long stroll that I took. At around mile 4 I heard a shout from someone coming in the other direction, “GO TEAM HOYT.” I picked my head up long enough to see them go right past me. I was literally moved to tears at the sight of such dedication and love. I get goose bumps now as I think about seeing, what in my mind, is one of the greatest hero’s of our generation. I won’t belabor the point, but I will say that even though the run was tragically slow, it was one of my most cherished triathlon moments, albeit fleeting, to be running on the same course as team Hoyt.

Vēnī, vīdī, incite
(I came, I saw, I am inspired…)

The post race mood was light and although the body was mucho sore, we imbibed by the fire into the wee hours. Having circled up the campers and eaten far too many hot wings it was clear to me that I must focus more on my running – but more clear to me that there is no other sport that allows me to embrace my natural self more so than triathlon… I look forward to many more races, miles, and smiles in the future (and of course, to going under 1:45 on the run next year at Timberman!).

Incite, indeed