Thursday, August 30, 2007

NewTOM & SisterK to the Coast



After watching Timberman, I felt quite inspired to jump into another race before the season ended. So the West Kennebunk Fire Sprint Triathlon beckoned me to the Seacoast. The atmosphere was fairly relaxed, the field quite a bit smaller than Timberman (400 including duathlon) and the location was beautiful. SisterK joined me as did some friends from Maine. We had a steamy morning which made the chilly ocean water all the more refreshing. There were some big waves heading out and coming back into the beach, full of dark colored seaweed. Great fun to dive into them on the way out and try to surf them on the way in. Sadly, the swim was over before I knew it and we were charging into the transition area. SisterK killed me on the transition – I need a little work there. Despite arriving just ahead of her, she beat me out and was off. She paced a fantastic ride, gunning it most of the way and I worked to keep up. After trading places several times with some guy, we passed him going up a little hill and he said, “jeez, again!” I said, “don’t take it personally, we live on a big hill,” and before racing away, SisterK chimed in, “and a little sibling rivalry is not helping you either”. Came in together on the bike and then out for a quick run. I had an easier time transitioning into running legs and just kept trucking through the run. The whole thing flew by and before we knew it, we had come in one and two in our age group and I was third female overall, with SisterK right behind as sixth female overall. Race was followed by a delicious blueberry pancake breakfast provided by the race and more swimming in the waves. Good stuff.