Saturday, August 11, 2007

How Did I Join Team IRONTOM?

That's a story I tell to everyone - I got talking toTOMasz by chance after IM Nice last year in a street cafe and I mentioned how much I wanted to race in Lake Placid and how impossible it is from Europe to get a a place in the race - so he offered to queue for me - what a great twist of fate.

I started triathlons about 10 years ago and have completed 5 Ironman distance events. I've been marathon running since 1990 and cycling most of my life. I have managed to get an annual trip to France for the past few years which has helped my bike riding (well, going up and down the French Alps anyway!). I'm not too fast but when I'm racing, I'm pleased if I can come in the top half of the field! What do I enjoy about Ironman? Getting the chance to visit the great countries they take place in, keeping the level of fitness required, but most of all the excitement- no other sport can beat the level of excitement at the start of an Ironman race! Erica and I live in England in the Lake District (If you're a film fan think Beatrix Potter!) and travel as widely as we can! So if any IronTOMs are coming to Europe to race, to ride, or just to visit, just let me know and we'll guide you in!