Friday, October 19, 2012

"ORIF" IS THE ANSWER

Back in New England after a long trip home. Again, a huge thank you for the avalanche of get-well wishes I received from many of you over the last week. Despite the accident, Kasia and I had a great time in Hawaii  and we definitely plan to return to the Big Island next year.

So, after the first round of medical visits I am pleased to report that the healing process is well underway. Yesterday, I had a wound evaluation and dressing changes visit with my primary, and today had a long-awaited and anticipated meeting with my orthopedic surgeon. And the verdict is in............

The many shades of tan

And the soon-to-be fifty shades of purple

Next Thursday, I am scheduled to undergo an open reduction internal fixation (ORIF) surgery on my left displaced mid-shaft comminuted clavicular fracture. In this procedure, the surgeon will use a contoured plate and several screws to connect the displaced ends. This procedure will significantly increase the likelihood of the union and assure bilateral clavicular symmetry. We have also discussed a non-surgical treatment option but the risk of a potential non-union and a likely loss of strength in the left arm and shoulder tipped the decision scale to the surgical procedure. So, if all goes well, I will ad more hardware to my body next week. It will join the metal plate and seven screws already in my left ankle from an injury about 20 years ago.

A picture-in-picture. The prognosis for a full recovery and the maximum functional outcome seems to be very good