Monday, November 9, 2009

HARD WORK PAID OFF AT SILVERMAN

The 2009 Silverman full-distance triathlon was unlike last year’s. The weather was much improved, and while the winds were still in our faces, regardless of the direction we went, there were no 50 miles/hr. cross winds.

The swim of the full-distance race started at 7AM in calm and chilly (68.4F) Lake Mead, following a 10 minute warm up. After the initial 500m the field of swimmers dispersed, so everyone had ample space to swim without having to encounter excessive body-contact. It also took me about 500m to settle into a comfortable pace. Navigating the course was easy for the first 1.9km as we swam west. This became very different on our way back to the shore with the sun shining straight into our eyes. Exiting the water proved to be the most challenging aspect of the swim for me. With the blood gone from the legs and a rocky bottom I slipped, fell and felt a slight pop in my toes. The concern lasted for a few seconds, that is, until I noticed my swim time – 1hr 12min.

Transition 1 was swift, and within a few minutes I was climbing my Kuota bike up a 1.3 mile, 6% access road onto the main highway. It all felt great and continued that way for the next 112 miles. However, as I was riding, I felt a discomfort in my foot when pushing down on the left pedal. It felt like a large blister on the sole of my foot.

The bike course was very challenging with 12,000 feet of combined elevation. Descents were quick and short, while assents were long and steep, though, they must have suited me well for riding that day, as I averaged 17.3 miles/hr in a 6hrs 26min bike portion of the race. I was particularly pleased with this time, which gave me the third fastest in my age group.

Transition 2 went even faster, and in about 2.5 minutes I began my marathon run. It took about 30 minutes to get into a rhythm. The marathon took all the athletes on a two 13-mile loops and offered 2,000 feet of climbing. I felt good for the first 15 miles hoping that my foot will not give me more trouble, but at that time my stomach began to be upset. With about 11 miles to the finish line my tempo slowed down considerably, which allowed two of my age-groupers to pass me toward the end of the run. I hoped to have a faster marathon time considering the 1hr 50min first loop. Perhaps, I went out too fast? My final marathon suffered as a result of it and I finished the run in 4 hrs. 45 min.

Elated, nevertheless, I finished this grueling race, considered by many as the toughest full-distance race in North America, in 12hrs 33min, good enough for a sixth place in the M45-49 age group, and 44th overall. After the race, I had a relaxing soft-tissue massage, post-race dinner, and eventually returned to my hotel about 10PM. Here, I realized what was bothering my left foot. In fact, it was not a blister but a purple and swollen third toe, which I must have injured when exiting the swim. I hope it’s not broken, but, if it is, it will be added to the “collection” of minor injuries we all suffer.

Silverman closed my racing season in 2009, and I am already looking forward to plan for 2010, which will be my last year of racing in the 45-49 age-group. Congratulations to all my teammates on a great racing season, as we now can focus on some deserved rest.