Monday, July 28, 2008

DOING WHAT I LIKE

Turn on that whirlpool

First, my many thanks go to Kasia and Linda, the TOMTOMs, Ted, and the Bircher Family who endured the torrential rain conditions and cheered me up at Ironman Lake Placid last Sunday. The thanks also go to all my family members and friends who virtually followed the race and wished me well. Second, my congratulations go to my IRONTOM teammates, who finished strong and earned the right to the title of an Ironman. And, of course, my special congrats go to TOMalitta and TOMomma for finishing their first (of more to come) Ironman races.

My race was a combination of highs and lows. An average swim, a very strong bike, and the longest marathon I have ever ran – I think.

Heading for the water

Despite the less than perfect weather conditions (14 continuous hours of torrential rain and cold), which caused everyone to ride more cautiously, I felt very strong throughout the entire 112 miles on the bike. In fact, I felt so good, I rode in the big front ring throughout the race at an average speed of 18.7 mph ;o) – almost as strong as in 2005. Well nutritioned and hydrated I was having a very good day.

The joy ride

After a messy transition (mud and water holes everywhere) I left T2 feeling fresh and light on my feet ready to go. My face did not display this overwhelming joy on these pictures because I just could not see very well and had to squint my eyes to shield them from the rain ;o). At this time I was aiming at running my regular marathon time, and if accomplished, a sub 11hr. finishing time - I felt I was "flying" - things looked good.

Breathing is good

The first 3 miles of the run went great as I was cruising at a pace of about 7:30 min/mile. Shortly thereafter things changed as I developed a massive cramp in my left Vastus Medialis muscle (the “big boys” name). The encouraging words from TOM-a-Lot and TOMb, as they passed me, were very appreciated – thank you guys. Needless to say, I had to walk it off for a while.

Once the cramp was under “control” I developed a shortness of breath while running and later while walking (a pretty scary situation). As it turned out, following a medical examination after the race, I experienced a severe bronchial spasm during the last 23 miles which made my marathon time almost 2 hours longer that it should have, would, have, or could have been. Well, but as the saying goes, “it is was water under the bridge,” and I am already looking into my next Iron race – a Silverman in Henderson, Nevada on November 9th.

Finished, at last

Getting an early start - resting before the next race