Tuesday, October 30, 2007

CHEESEMAN

The cheese grater, carnageman, IMMOO.

These are only a few of the names associated with Ironman Wisconsin. The 2005 edition lays claimto the hottest IM temps I've encountered (high 90s, with highhumidity) and the highest dnf rate (19%, including yours truly) of any ironman race in the history of the series. The 2006 sufferfestforced the hapless racers to endure the coldest temps I've everencountered, well, at least while in the rain and garbed in spandexfor 12 hours and 43 minutes. The swim usually is a slugfest, with asmany as 2475 participants, not to mention the double helix (nottalking about all the dna we leave behind) into the transition.
The ride has been described as "climb, descend, turn, repeat", which pretty much says it all. Two climbs up Observatory Hill, two tripsthrough Camp Randall Stadium, two trips around the capital buildingadorn the run course. In only the sixth year, this race has a littlehistory. I've been there every start, and only once was I unable to finish.
This time, I was there with John Souther, my NH friend who had strict instructions not to let me sign up for next year, and had threatened me with physical violence if I did. We deplaned in Chicago Thursdayafternoon, headed up to Madison and got settled in. I had quite afew friends doing the race, as always, and wanted to enjoy what mightbe my last trip to the mid-Western crucible.
On the heels of Lake Placid, I hadn't gotten much good training in, especially on the run. The recovery after the crash had been difficult. I'd had trouble sleeping and couldn't really do the easy type exercise that is so important to get the last race out of your muscles. Although I'd gotten in a fair amount of swimming and riding, my run volume had been low, maybe 60 miles total between theraces. Well, nothing I could do now. I was here to enjoy myself. Someone once told me you're supposed to enjoy these things, at least I think they did.
The weather was beautiful leading up to the race. Clear skys, no wind, warm temperatures, amazing sunsets and sunrises, perfect fall weather. The forecast for Sunday looked to be the same. For the first time since the inaugural year, the weather would be nice. I was relieved.
We hung out, I relaxed and visited friends, and prepared my strategy. I had noticed that at LP I had had too much to drink onthe run, which had led to an uncomfortable feeling in my tummy and also led to many port-o-potties. I decided to go with one less drink per station, for a total of 2 if I was feeling ok, maybe 3 if I was thirsty. For the swim, my goal was to stay to the outside, which is always my goal, but somehow I always seem to wind up going right along the buoys. On the ride, go easy!!! I made my pancakes at afriend's house (and sustained much ridicule for my intake of Ensure while doing so), and it seemed that all was ready for my adventure.
I decided to drive to the race with a friend who was staying at our hotel. When I asked him what time we were leaving, he said "4:15."which prompted me to ask "In the morning?!?" to which he replied"Yup." I reminded him that we were only a 7 minute (max) drive from the venue and it wouldn't be open until 5. I could see this was non-negotiable, and so I begrudgingly agreed. I drank a couple Ensures before bed, turned in, and slept well.
I got up around 3:45 and ate some left over pancakes and 2 Ensures. This provided good, easily digested carbs that burn completely off. Felt like a million bucks. Met up with my ride, and the day wasunder way.
It was actually quite good to be very relaxed while waiting for things to start. Since I had a pump, I pumped up quite a few folks'tires, had plenty of time to get everything ready (bags containingvarious racing items) and get my suit on. The sunrise from the topof Monona Terrace was spectacular. A leisurely walk down the parkingramp (a helix going down three levels) to the swim start, into the water, and waiting to take off.
I tried to find an open spot for the start of the race, but eventually it was clear that was going to be impossible, unless I started 50 or so yds behind the line, which I wasn't about to do. I prepared myself mentally for the inevitable wall of flesh after the cannon (and they really use a miniature cannon here) goes off. Ablast and we all started blasting.
Miraculously, this time I did stay far enough to the outside, and after the initial frenzy I found relatively open water. It was so easy I almost felt compelled to swim over to some other iron dudes or dudettes and give them a few whacks! Well, not really. I had a little contact at various points, but it was pretty smooth. The water was also very comfortable and flat, the opposite of last year. Near the end I even started breathing on my left side, which I never do when racing. I felt really smooth and was thinking to myself "Hey, I might have a good swim time?!?" Imagine my surprise when I saw, upon exiting the water...... 1:14 and change. D'oh!! When willI ever learn? No matter, I got my suit peeled and ran up the helix,which is not easy in a crowd of people who have just also swum 2.4miles. The spectators were out in full force, lining the road andthe ramp. Very exciting.
Now, in the past I've really blasted the transitions in Madison. When I've gone really hard and been well organized, I've been as lowas 8:30-ish for T1 and T2. That's fast for this course. The fastesttimes are usually below 7, but not much. This time my total transition time was about 15 or 16 minutes.
I was in no hurry. I got my pancakes, inhaled some Gu2O, and ran out into the HUGE biketransition area. My bike was in the first rack. On the way there I got yells and a friendly slap on the keister from good friend and fellow Team Fun member Pete Ylvisaker (I'm on a lot of teams: TeamGoofy Bastard, Team TMF, Team Fun, Team Irontom...). Then I grabbed my bike and ran the LOOOONG way to the other end of the ramp and theother helix, which yes, you have to ride down.
Out onto the course. Beautiful day for a ride. The first few miles wind you under a bridge on a one lane bike path, through a parkinglot, over a freeway, and then it's out into the picturesque Wisconsincountryside.
About 10 miles into it, you run into an endless succession of short (and sometimes steep) hills. There were at least6 times when I was in my smallest gear and out of the saddle on the 2loop course, which I never had to do in LP. Of course, I think I was in better shape and lighter then. There is one point when you come to the bottom of a descent to a stop sign and right hand turn which goes into a 50 yd steep hill. That's kind of the standard there. Madison has 80 some turns, or a turn about every 1.3 miles. Some of the descents are fast and very windy. Bike handling skills are a bigasset, and I've usually done pretty well there. That also makes it abit hard to eat, but I was sticking to my schedule of 2ish pancakes and one gel with about 1 liter of water and Gu 2O and 3ish salt tabsper hour quite well.
I'm moving through the pack but not pushing hard, holding back forthe second loop during which I'll need fresh legs. Passing is difficult with the crowds and turns, but that's going pretty well too. Shortly before the town of Mt. Horeb, I was caught behind a large group of riders for a few miles because there was no room toget around. When an opportunity came up, I put on a big surge and got around them, which was good with a longish hill and an aid station ahead. After going through the aid station and going through a traffic circle, I noticed the back end of my bike seemed very squishy. I looked down and sure enough, I was going flat. I pulledoff to the side to fix it and minutes later every slacker in that group rode past me. Grrrrrrrr.
However, at this point, my hands were like claws. I had also taped my repair gear to my seatpost, thinking that would be more aero, quicker in transition, and a bit lighter. Big No No! As I was fumbling with trying to get my kit off the bike and fix the flat, I realized that it would be impossible for me to carry my trash and other detritus. So I just stared dumbly at it before trying with no success to stuff it in my pockets. This long stop did provide me with a good chance to eat, however.
Finally, a group of people were walking by and I asked them to be my trash crew, to which they agreed. I should emphasize at this point that there were LOTS of people watching this race. Even in the country, there was no stretch of more than a half mile without someone there, and the small towns you ride through are great, one of them is just like being in Le Tour de France, with a narrow corridorfor you to ride through that is lined for 400 yds with screaming fans.
So I'm back on the road, with no idea of how much time I lost. Not too worried about that, as I didn't really plan to race this one anyway. Now begins the hardest portion of the race, with a series of short, steep hills that leads to a very dangerous descent, which leads to another section of short, steep hills. The payoff is quite nice though, as you finish your first loop in Verona, the Tour town.
As I'm reaching the end of the Verona, riding pretty hard on adrenaline, I see my 81 year old father sitting roadside with mybrother-in-law out of the corner of my eye. I rode about 50 yardsds beyond them before I found a safe place to turn around and go back to my dad and give him a few hugs and tell him I love him (so emotional). He shed a few tears, told me to go out and win (awshucks, Dad!). I said I wasn't going to win, but I would finish and was feeling good. After a quick check for safety, I got back on my way.
The second loop was uneventful. I rode well, and didn't stop inspecial needs for a re-supply as I had in Lake Placid. I felt prettystrong all the way through, but toward the end it was a bit of a struggle, especially as the wind was picking up and the last 7 miles were directly into it. There were a few times when I started to feel a bit nauseous, but I promptly got food and fluid in when that happened. It's hard to maintain that focus during a long day, and even though eating is the last thing you want to do when you'refeeling crappy, you have to force yourself to do it. I think my total ride time was 5:51 and change. Not great, but ok. I was now 7:15 ish into the race.
Another slow transition, during which I applied Vaseline, drank Pepsi, and then put on some sunscreen, and ran out to the capital circle drive, all the while surrounded by fans. John had welcomed me into T2, and it was fun to constantly see my old friends, the cheeseheads.
I knew that with the low run volume I probably didn'thave a full marathon in my legs, so my plan was to go very slowly a sfar as I could and then manage as best as I could. There's a steepand long hill at mile 5 and 18 that you have to go over, so I was preparing myself for that.
I jogged, slowly, making sure I got a water and gatorade or water and cola at every stop. This marathon is unique in the IM world in thatthe whole run takes place in the city, so you're never far away from a crowd of enthusiastic fans. I kept chuggin' along. There are some really cool places. You run through some great parts of UW Madison campus (UWM has 40,000 students, and they come out in force for the ironman) and through the street side bistros of State Street.
Anyway, when I got to the halfway point of the marathon, I hadanother chance to hug my dad, right in front of the capital! That was a good photo op, but it was missed. A few seconds later therewas John, as well as another friend who's a student, and so on. I was still feeling pretty good, but had 13.1 miles left. I shuffled on.
I got to the 15 mile mark, looked at my watch, and realized that if I kept going at that pace, I had a shot at going under 11 hours, whichwould have been a new record for me. Thinking again about my low running volume, I immediately slowed down to try to make that impossible. I thought if I tried to do that I would never make it and would really turn the last portion of the race into a death march.
When I got to the hill again at mile 18, I was feeling pretty crappyand my legs were indeed hurting. There was no running up that hill this time. I had expected that and was ok with walking. I walked through campus and along lake Mendota. I was just about to start running again when a Canuck came alongside me, also walking, and we engaged in a very pleasant conversation. Since my chances of goingunder 11 hours were long gone, I decided to walk further with him, and we discussed the pros and cons of ironman racing, life, and other things you do when you're really smoked. We walked until about 2miles left and then ran it in. My finish time was 12:15:59. People say I should say I did 12:15, but I'm happy with 12:16.
And I didn't sign up for next year. Really.....