Saturday, November 2, 2013

THE PRE-RACE REPORT IS NOW COMPLETE

My pre-race Kona report would not have been complete without the two missing days. So, here they are, Wednesday and Thursday, leading up to the race day.

The registration day. Volunteers from all over the world descended upon Kona, as they do every year, to make this race a fabulous event.

The formality. Picking up another backpack. I am not sure how many I got, but this one is special, for sure.

On Wednesday, a "party ship" arrived in Kona and added another 4,000 people to the mix. Ironically, during my layover in Dallas, TX, on my way to Hawaii I met a gentleman who was flying to Honolulu for a Hawaiian cruise that was to arrive in Kona on Wednesday. So, there he was. The world can be small, indeed.

The UFO has also arrived. Paragliding is in my to do "bucket list." Another reason to return to Kona. If anything were to go wrong, at least, there would be a soft landing.

I am still not sure what that lava wonder is. Located by the Queen K Highway, it looks like a mini volcano crater, but on a closer inspection it appears to be a cave.

Back in Kona for another worthy event - "The Underpants Run." Waiting for the runners on Thursday morning with my Czech and Canadian Friends. Some may be ready to run.

And here they come. Several thousand runners takes part in this fundraising event which is a part of the Ironman extravaganza.

I suppose, some place, they must make them that size.

It has to be a rhetorical question.

Multitasking at its best

Somewhere on the Kona Pier. Well, need I say more?

With TJ Tollakson at the Diamond Bike team breakfast meeting. TJ is a multiple pro Ironman champion and the developer of the Diamond Bike technology.

With the team and the bike.

Until Thursday I only knew him from the Tour de France race. Ryder Hasjedal is one of the best road cyclists in the world. Right T2? And why did I think that cyclists are short?

An icing on the cake. The trip to Kona would not have been complete without meeting Mark Alen, the 6-time Ironman World Champion and an icon in the triathlon world.

Overlooking the bay, a relaxing lunch with Kasia and Alison. Yes, the socks seem to make a difference.

The final look at the Ironman Village ......

...... and the palms.

I promise, the next blog will be from the race.