Sunday, September 29, 2013

LOST IN TRANSITION

It was time to go fast, fast, fast this time. So, to do so, last Sunday, I drove to Morgantown, West Virginia to race Wells Fargo Olympic-distance triathlon. The race distance (0.9 mile swim, 26 mile bike, 6 mile run) was definitely out of my comfort zone where one has to go very fast, and at times anaerobic, from start to finish. I have trained hard all year and wanted to see how fast I can race three weeks before Ironman Hawaii.

Morgantown is about 210 miles due east of Columbus. Unlike any other time, this time, I decided to drive there on the morning of the race for the 8:30 start. The four hours it took to drive there went very fast and at about 6 o’clock I was one of the first athletes checking-in. It was raining hard the day before and the weather forecast called for about 65F and no rain. No rain is always good, I thought, but 65F may be a bit too cold. I still remember Rev3 Knoxville earlier this year. The water temperature read 70F, thus wetsuits were allowed.

First buoys are slowly emerging from darkness 

All checked-in

The swim was designed as a two-lap rectangle in the “Mon” River. The water seemed muddy for the heavy rain that pummeled the area. The open levy just upstream made the current very strong to the point that the organizers moved the venue upstream and shortened the course to about 800-1,000 meters. This pushed back the start of the race, but at 9:30 we were finally off. This was a very fast swim, by any measure, as I exited the water in just over 8 minutes. It felt as if swimming downhill.

Debating the swim venue. In the end, it was moved upstream due to an excessively strong current.

And missing out on this attraction.

Next, a short run to the transition area. T1 is my least favorite discipline in triathlon, as getting out of the wetsuit always triggers cramps in my adductor muscles. This time, I had to pound on them with my fist to let go. Needless to say, this translated into a longer transition time. Giving away “free time” never feels good, but the race was on and it was the time to chase the competition.


The bike course measured 22 miles and took athletes just outside of the city limits for an out-and-back, traffic-ridden ride. I believe, the one-hour delay to the start may have had something to do with that. Nevertheless the ride felt smooth and I was pushing a high gear. In 61 minutes I was back in the transition racking my bike. A couple of minutes later I was settling into a steady pace on this flat and shaded course. On this out-and-back, two loop course, I was able to spot my competitors and gauge the time I had to make up. I felt very good and light on my feet, maintaining a steady pace of about 6:40-minute mile. At the final turn around, and with about 1.5 miles to go, I was about 4 and 2 minutes behind the 1st and the 2nd, respectively. With about 200 yards to go I could almost touch the runner ahead of me, but in the end, I ran out of the real estate to do so. In the end, I finished the race in 1 hour 57 minutes to take the third place. Twelve seconds separated me from the second and 2 minutes from the first place. Losing about four extra minutes in transitions was the “free time” I ended up giving away. So, another lesson had been learned. Triathlon, as it turns out, is a four-discipline sport.

An icing on the cake.

Now, only a few days are separating me from my second trip to Kona. Since my accident on the Big Island on October 9, 2012, I have trained hard and raced hard in preparation for the upcoming ultimate test of endurance. Ironman Hawaii will take place on Saturday, October 12th, and I look forward to toeing the starting line with some of the best professional and age-group athletes in the world.

The race will be streamed live on the Internet at www.ironmanlive.com