Saturday, September 1, 2012

IRONMAN LOUISVILLE MAKES IT NUMBER SIX ...

... in ten weeks. Yes, this year's racing frequency has been a huge diversion from the past years. I returned to Ironman Louisville last Sunday to toe the starting line with 3,000 other athletes. I expected tough weather conditions and a challenging course, and they did not disappoint. A hot and humid day set the stage for a great and honest race.

This year, I elected to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the downtown. Instead, I settled in a quieter part of the city about 10 miles from downtown Louisville. This gave me an ample opportunity to relax and employ my daily routines without constant race reminders, such as bikes on the streets, compression socks, tri visors, etc. I replicated this idea from my previous races and it worked out very well, again. I was also able to do my training runs in beautiful and quiet suburban neighborhoods and enjoy swim practice at a local private club where I was the only guy doing a hundred-yard tempo laps for over an hour.

On the way out from the pool on a humid day. Next on the list of things to do - lunch.

While in Oxmore, I was also within a short driving distance to the Ironman headquarters where I had to register, visit exhibitor booths, and get last-minute technical assistance. As I found out, there was one problem with that strategy - a limited downtown parking options and associated risk of getting parking tickets. Yes, I have managed to accomplish that with many others.

Enjoying a compression therapy at the Expo.

Always finding time to get on the Tanita body composition scale before the race.....

.... to get the reading of the hydration level.

The race day started at 3 o'clock in the morning with a cell phone alarm. The hotel failed to wake me up and if not for the cell phone..... who knows? Anyway, I got about 6 hours of sleep and woke up very rested. Next, a quick shower, breakfast, and I was ready to go. I arrived at the transition area before the gates opened to find a crowd of several hundred athletes already standing in line. Next, a quick bike check up and a one mile run to the swim start. One could feel the air temperature raising already at 5:15 AM. I secured my space in the swim line and continued on to finish my run. Ironman Louisville employs a time-trial swim method where athletes jump off a dock in two-second increments. Needless to say, being at the front of the swim line definitely had its advantages.

At 7:00 AM the first age group athletes got in the water. I was right behind them about 45 seconds back. The water was very calm and warm. I got into a comfortable pace right-away and never encountered any particular traffic with plenty of an open water for the 2.4 mile swim. I thought, and others concurred with me, that the swim may have been a bit longer this year, but if it were, everyone had to swim it. Upon exiting the water my Timex read 1 hr. 17 min. - a bit slower than last year. Nevertheless, I was quite content with that, especially, since it was non-wetsuit legal swim.

With the swim behind me, heading for T1.

Out of T1. Crowds of cheering spectators were lining up the "Bike-Out" gate.

T1 took about 6 min. Not great, but not too bad either given the distance from water to the transition tent. The legs were getting more responsive as the blood started returning to them after being horizontal for over an hour. I also noticed, I did not cramp as much this time while putting on the bike shoes. Once on the bike, I felt relaxed again. Soon, I realized my speedometer stopped picking up the speed. The 10-mile road markers became my check-ins for speed. By the 20-mile marker I knew I was going fast. There was a minimal car traffic on the roads and things looked really good. My peanut butter-jelly sandwiches delivered the energy I needed despite having lost the entire supply of Endurolytes within the first few miles. I was not quite sure how my body would respond to the "Perform" energy drinks but it all tuned out just fine. And here I have to make a plug for my new ZIPP wheels. They were just awesome as they rolled beautifully and silently over the nicely maintained country roads. I was having a great ride which came to an end in 5 hrs. 32 min. Happy, indeed, I arrived at T2

I really like this shot.

The country side was truly picturesque. Horse farms, grazing cows, and manicured lawns.

Transition 2 was about 2 minutes quicker, although, my legs felt somewhat tired. I have been in that spot before and knew things should get better soon. So, I got some nutrition and hydration, put plenty of sunscreen on, visited a port-o-let, and got on my way to run the marathon just a bit more than 4 minutes.

The initial 2 miles on the run were slightly up and down hill, so it took a little time to settle into a comfortable pace and heart rate.

Within the first mile we ran out and back over the 2nd Street Bridge. It was hot up there - the air stood still.

The running got easier after a couple of miles.

Feeling good at the beginning of the second loop. I do not think, I ran into the proverbial "wall" in Louisville.

The celebration is about to begin. I can see the clock reading 10 hrs. 52 min.

The exaltation took a little bit of time as I finished the race in 10:53:05. Happy, indeed, with the podium finish.

The final pose.

After getting cleaned up and a 20-minute massage I returned to the finish line to cheer on others. My friend Dawid, who competed last year was there to cheer me on this time. In fact, about three miles from the finish he let me know I was fifth, which help me find an extra gear in my gear box. The last three-mile surge helped me move up into 4th. My other friends, Jim and Jackie were also there on the bike and the run course and I thank you all very much.

With Dawid at the lively and lovely 4th Street Live finish line.

One more thing left to do that day - picking up the bike and saying good-bye to the Ohio River.

On Monday, athletes gathered together one more time for a farewell celebration and the awards ceremony.

M50-54

Again, proud members of the AARP club ;o)

I was all smiles for every picture :o)

A team picture with Robin who also had a great day and took 5th in her age group.

I have two more races left this season. Next stop, Henderson, Nevada for the Ironman 70.3 World Championship. Ironman will broadcast this race live on the Internet. Thank you for your support and great emails after the race. Feeling your support makes all the difference in the world.

Pictures courtesy of FinisherPix, Dawid, Hanna