Saturday, July 17, 2010

A SOLID START TO A BUSY SEASON

Greetings,

My first race of the season is behind me ;o). The day (July 11th) opened up with a nearly cloudless sky at the Narragansett Beach, which hosted the start of the 3rd edition of Ironman Rhode Island 70.3. It was my season opener and a perfect opportunity to assess my fitness level prior to Ironman Lake Placid next week and the Great Floridian in the early Fall.

As it turned out, the hard training has paid off. Throughout the race day I felt strong, comfortable, and well nutritioned and hydrated, and while my overall race time was a bit slower than last year, I was able to finish strong in 11th place (out of 139) in the M45-49 age group. Strong ocean currents on the swim and quite challenging head-winds on the bike and the run slowed down everybody’s time, including the pro men’s winner, Terrenzo Bozone, who was unable to break the 4hr mark.

The swim (37 min) was quite challenging. High waves and strong currents made sighting difficult. The bike course took us from Narragansett to Providence exposing some of the most beautiful landscapes of Rhode Island. After 2 hrs 44 min in the saddle and a quick transition, I was running through Providence where the temperature started to exceed 90F before 10AM. It took me about 25 minutes to get my “running legs” and see my run speed increase. The run course was nicely designed, though, quite exposed to the hard-beating sun. Fortunately, plenty of hydration, water-sponges, and the head-wind offset some of that heat. Finally, with a few more miles left in my legs, I crossed the finish line after 1 hr 43 min of running to place 11th in my age group (total race time 5 hrs 14 min).

As always, my support team was there to cheer me on. Kasia, Damian, Ania, Beatka, Jarus, Dorotka, and Dave made this day very special. Also, a huge thanks to all who followed and cheered me on on-line.

Next Sunday, I will be racing Ironman Lake Placid. You can follow that race at www.ironman.com. Best -- TOMasz

And this is how it looked in pictures

5 AM on Sunday

A strategy session with age groupers

Getting ready for a warm-up swim

The real deal. 6o seconds till the gun shot

Out of the water

Out of the gates on the bike

Live free and tri

Spectators lined up the entire course

That's how Damian found my bike in T2

About 5 miles to go

Finishing with a smile

The final stretch

Seconds after crossing the finish line

With my support team