Wednesday, June 4, 2008

REACHING THE PODIUM PLACING LAST?

This was a race of firsts for me. It was the first time I’ve ever done a straight mountain bike race. It was the first time I’ve placed first and last in my division. And finally the first time I’ve left before an awards ceremony. (If there was one.) How did I place first and last in my division? I registered for the Bear Brook Blast Off in the Open Cruiser division which was the lowest division of people doing the long course and I was the only one register for this division. There were two divisions above me doing the long course with many people in them and two divisions below me doing a shorter course.

Since this was my first straight mountain bike race I wanted to do the longer distance to prepare for summer triathlons but didn’t want to compete with the upper level racers especially considering that I have a older bike with no shocks or and older style caged pedals via mid 90’s. So I started with the women of the level above me.

The course was relatively flat but other than that had a little bit of everything to satisfy everyone. It had open areas on smooth gravel roads, cruising type trails and some pretty tricky single track with rocks and the works. I actually past a few people along the course and didn’t get past by to many within long course riders since I started towards the end. Although I have to say most of the women I started with started out quick and in front of me and stayed there.

I just looked on line and saw the results. Overall, for the long course racers, I was toward the end of the pack but was not dead last. Considering what I was riding I feelt pretty good about the race. I finished in 2 hours 24 minutes and 30 seconds. I also earned 200 points for being in first. What that means I have no idea.